Kingston was established in 1694 as the fifth town in New Hampshire, a Royal Charter granted by King William.
The Town of Kingston is located in the South East corner of the state, approximately 5 miles north of the Massachusetts border. Kingston is bordered by Brentwood to the North, Exeter to the Northeast, East Kingston and Newton to the East, Plaistow to the South and Atkinson and Danville to the West.
Kingston was home to Dr. Josiah Bartlett, "President" of the state of New Hampshire from 1790 to 1794, delegate to the Continental Congress, one of the first signers of the Declaration of Independence, and founder of the New Hampshire Medical Society.
In 1776, after learning that Dr. Josiah Bartlett had signed the Declaration of Independence, the "Tories" burned his home to the ground. Upon his return from the Convention, Dr. Bartlett rebuilt his home. The picture below is how his home looks today. The home is still occupied by direct descendants of Dr. Josiah Bartlett and is registered in the List of Historic Places, along with several other landmark historic sites in Kingston.
In 1969 the Town of Kingston Improvement & Historical Society complied a History of the Town of Kingston. In 1994 the History of Kingston New Hampshire 1694 - 1994 was revised by the History Book Committee.