Vehicle Registration

Renewing a registration: Bring your current motor vehicle registration or your renewal notice to the town or city where you reside to pay your permit fees first. The DMV cannot process the registration without the town fees being paid first. Most towns/cities are also municipal agents of the state and, for a small, additional fee, can also complete the state portion of your registration. KINGSTON TOWN CLERK will renew your registration for you even if you send someone to do it for you, as long as that person has their license and a copy or the original registration.

If you have lost your registration that is coming up for renewal, we will renew the registration for the registered owner only with their drivers license.

To register your vehicle in New Hampshire, you must first go to your town/city clerk's office to determine your residency and start your registration process. Once residency is determined by your town or city clerk, if you have the title of your vehicle or it is exempt from title you may process the entire transaction at your town or city clerk's office.

Registering a vehicle purchased from a New Hampshire dealership: If you purchased the vehicle at a New Hampshire retail dealership and are a New Hampshire resident, present to your town or city office the certificate of title, or the blue copies of your title application. Please provide proof of residency if you have not already done so as established by your town/city.

Registering a vehicle purchased from an out-of-state dealership: Present to your town/city clerk your title from the dealership or the New Hampshire title application from the lienholder. If it is a brand new vehicle, a Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) is required. Please provide proof of residency if you have not already done so as established by your town/city.

Registration Transfers

To transfer a registration from a currently registered vehicle to another vehicle (for example you purchase a new vehicle and would like to put plates on it from another vehicle registered to you), you will need to bring your current registration of the plate you want transferred and proof of ownership for the new vehicle to the town or city clerk where you reside. Transfer credit is only allowed if the primary owner's name on the old registration and the new registration do not change. Please note: Once the plates have been transferred, the old vehicle is no longer legally registered and may not be driven on any roadway.

If you are a surviving spouse, please bring your title and/or lienholder information to your town/city clerk and a copy of your spouse's death certificate. If it is a new vehicle, no credit will be given. For lease transfers, please bring in your current registration and your new CTA and/or Title to your town or city clerk.